Share This Article
Africa is not just home to over a billion people with diverse cultures, but also to numerous breathtaking travel destinations with landscapes and activities that satisfy each visitor’s unique needs, cravings, and fascinations.
Looking for adventure?
We have curated a list of the top ten travel destinations in Africa for adventure seekers like you.
Forget Mount Everest, Capadoccia and its hot air balloons, or the Northern Lights. From East Africa to West Africa, and to the North and South, these African travel destinations will give you the thrills you seek and a lot more.
Read on to discover for yourself.
- Mount Kilimanjaro: Africa’s tallest mountain, located in the East African country of Tanzania, beckons to daring spirits like you. Kilimanjaro is a dormant volcano with three volcanic cones: Mawenzi, Kibo (the highest), and Shira. It has become a magnet for tourists, hikers, and climbers around the world seeking new experiences. If you seek the adrenaline rush of daring goals and stretching yourself to new heights, then this should be on your travel bucket list. Who knows, you might just make history by being among 40% of its yearly climbers that make it to the peak; and even if you don’t, the experience is one you’d relish for a lifetime.
- Maasai Mara National Reserve (The Mara): Turns out East Africa has a lot to offer adventurers. Named one of the wonders of the world, The Mara is located in Narok, on the southwestern side of Kenya. Named after the Maasai people, it’s not just one of the most important wildlife conservation centres in the continent, but also, it’s known globally for its large concentration of the big five – lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, and buffaloes – all year round. You will also find hippos, nile crocodiles, cheetahs, and much more. So if you are a lover of wildlife and the soothing embrace of plain nature, then this is one place you want to try out.
You can go on a safari ride and explore the various wonders that Mother Nature has in store for you at this destination. The Mara also hosts the Great Migration, regarded as one of the “Seven Wonders of the Natural World.” Talk about one destination, so much beauty!
- Parc de la Méfou: Step into a new world in the heart of Cameroon, one of the most beautiful countries in West Africa. When it comes to experiencing a destination as an adventure seeker, Cameroon seems to live up to its motto: ‘Peace, Work, Fatherland.’ For example, Parc de la Méfou, also known as The Mefou Wildlife Sanctuary isn’t just your regular zoo. It is a place to escape and unwind, feed your curiosity, and push the needle of new learning. It is home to over 300 rare and endangered species of primates, including gorillas, chimpanzees, and monkeys. The best part is that these wild animals are not caged. Yes, you get to see them in their natural habitats, test your fears, and be in sync with true nature.
- Temple of Pythons: Adventures – pardon the pun – come in numerous shades of grey. You can certainly find a good dose of it in Ouidah, Benin Republic when you visit a temple dedicated to royal pythons. These snakes are sacred animals in the West African region. Not to worry, the pythons don’t bite and you can hold them and take pictures with them for an extra fee. Well, don’t take our word for it; simply give it a try and we are sure you will have more to say about the experience than we can share here.
- The Pyramids of Giza: If you love mythology as much as you love adventure, then you might want to plan a trip to the Giza Necropolis in Egypt. You can visit one of the pyramids (as long as you are not claustrophobic) and go back in time to medieval Egypt, take pictures with the Sphinx, and climb down the tunnels of the Bent pyramid and the Red pyramid.
- Devil’s Pool: The name sounds spooky, right? Yeah, we know that, but if you are an adventure lover, this might just be your inducement. While there are no devils in Livingstone Island, Zambia, you will find this beautiful pool just at the edge of Victoria Falls, one of Africa’s most beautiful sites. We doubt there can be a more exhilarating experience as it takes a rocky hike and a swim in the Zambezi River to get to the pool.
Think you are fearless enough to swim at the edge of one of the world’s largest waterfalls? Prove your bravery by visiting the Devil’s Pool.
- Nosy Be: Unlike the movie Trip to Madagascar series, animals don’t talk and there are certainly no penguins in Madagascar. However, you can be sure to find the thrill you seek on the world’s second-largest island. If underwater adventure is what you seek, there’s plenty of it in Nosy Be. You can snorkel in the ocean with green turtles, and spot the world’s biggest fish, the whale shark. Imagine seeing a 19,000kg fish in the flesh! Nosy Be is a must-visit island for adventurers who love the ocean and its wonderments.
- The Bwindi Impenetrable National Park: Sounds like the perfect scene for a horror/mystery film. However, the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda is home to one of the planet’s most diverse ecosystems, and it’s a popular choice for gorilla trekking. This is one of the hottest-selling African destinations for adventure seekers. If you are thinking of visiting this place, then we advise getting your travel permits earlier because they usually sell out pretty fast to tourists who troop in each year to have a taste of the magic.
- The Hippo Sanctuary: How would you like to visit a community of wild hippos? Lucky for you, there’s one in a small town in the Wa West district in the Upper West Region of Ghana, Wechiau. An early morning canoe trip on the Black Volta River can give you the experience of seeing a wallowing hippo at spitting distance. But there’s more to be discovered in this amazing location. You can also catch over 200 species of birds awakening at sunrise, and spot other wildlife creatures.
Test your love for nature by going on an adventure to the Hippo sanctuary and experience nature in its truest form.
- Bloukrans Bridge: Our list would be incomplete without a spotlight on South Africa. The Bloukrans Bridge is the world’s highest commercial bungee jump. For adventurers, there’s no such thing as extreme and if uninhibited adventure is what you desire, then you must visit this bridge. You can take a literal leap of faith by bungee jumping at the Bloukrans bridge and experience a thrill like never before. Of course, safety comes first, even as you pursue that adventure that sets your heart on fire.
There you have it, a list of the top ten travel destinations for adventure seekers in Africa. Certainly, this list is inexhaustive, as Africa has a truckload of wonderful places that can knock your socks off. It is all about your readiness and the transportation to get you there. Treepz partners with trusted travel, tours, and hospitality companies to make your travel experience stress-free. They offer affordable and convenient trip packages to various destinations in East and West Africa, handling everything from airport transfers to accommodations. You can rely on their expertise to ensure a smooth and enjoyable trip.